What are the best Waterproof MP3 Players for Swimming And Diving? If you want to listen to your favorite music during swimming, the best and most rel
- 1 What are the best Waterproof MP3 Players for Swimming And Diving?
- 2 Waterproof vs. Water Repellent vs. Water Resistant
- 3 Buying Guide (2018)
What are the best Waterproof MP3 Players for Swimming And Diving?
If you want to listen to your favorite music during swimming, the best and most reliable solution is a waterproof MP3 player, like iPod Shuffle, and waterproof in-ear headphones.
This technology is very basic, but works best underwater. See why you can’t use Bluetooth headphones underwater below.
The main reasons why you should get an iPod or MP3 headset for swimming are:
- Proven technology that simply works
- Wired, smaller design is easier to make waterproof even for deeper water
- Small design is easier to keep on during swimming (imagine swimming with over-ear headphones…)
- Waterproofing small earbuds and MP3 players is cheaper than bigger headphones or your phone.
Waterproof vs. Water Repellent vs. Water Resistant
First off it is important to mention that water resistant and water repellent are not the same as waterproof. When you are looking for a MP3 player for swimming etc. make sure it says waterproof otherwise it likely will not hold up. Here is a quick breakdown of what the 3 mean:
Water Resistant– The device has been made to resist some water. Small splashes such as rain or handwashing usually will not cause damage.
Water Repellent– The device usually receives some sort of coating to make it repel water even more than a water resistant device would. This is only a small step up from water resistant and is still not safe for swimming uses.
Water Proof- This is what you should be looking for in a MP3 player that will be used in the water. Waterproof means that water will not get inside and ruin the device. The device will have special seals to stand up to water pressure as well as a hydrophobic coating. Every device should be graded with a depth that they are waterproof to.
This Tayogo waterproof music player is the first of its unique design that I’ve personally tried. It’s basically all one piece – a molded plastic headband with rubberized head goes around your head for minimum slippage while swimming and two standard earbuds are wired to both ends of the headband. The USB main player component of the device is detachable, so you can easily disconnect it from the headband and add more music to it.
The player itself has 8GB of memory (2000 songs or so), which is nothing groundbreaking in today’s day and age. It’s more than enough for quite a few playlists while swimming, however, so you shouldn’t have any storage issues with this model. The entire unit is completely waterproof and heatproof as well.
This is one of those things where the primary purpose of it is to be rugged and practical to use while swimming and exercising in the water and heat. It does both of those exceptionally well, so it’s a winner in my book. However, some people do complain about the audio quality. It definitely doesn’t have high fidelity audio or anything like that, but it more than gets the job done for a workout mp3 player in my humble opinion.
- Unique Design – The headband is made from a tough flexible plastic with rubberised tips that clasp on to your head.Headphones and USB main player separate design.detachable USB main player,you can update your music files anytime if you want.
- Built-in 8GB Memory – Up to 2000 songs can be downloaded,support many format audio formats,wont boring anymore when swimming,surfing or diving,enjoy music anytime anywhere.
- Waterproof & Heatproof – Its IPX8 waterproof make it come true to enjoy music under the water,its heatproof keep it working fine even in hot water which temperature is no more than 60℃/180℉,you can also enjoy music even in showering or hot spring
The Diver DB-10 is a simple waterproof music player that does what it advertises at a reasonable price. It’s not very fancy, and is quite literally a USB stick with a few media control buttons on it + a pair of waterproof headphones. Don’t be skeptical though, some thought very clearly went into the design of this cool little underwater player. The earphones both have hooks that go around your ears so they won’t dislodge when you’re swimming fast, and the mp3 player itself has a very sturdy hook on the back of it so that you can clip it right on to a headband, swim cap, or even your goggles while swimming.
The 4GB of storage is a big on the low side, but will still get you right around 1000 songs or so – more than enough for even a Michael Phelps-level swim session! Overall, this is a lightweight, waterproof no-frills media player that does exactly what you need it to – play music underwater without hindering your swimming or falling off mid-race.
I love this simple stand by Crafty Gizmos mainly because it comes with a super slick waterproof carrying bag that makes transporting it an absolute breeze. You simply fold the stand up, toss it in the carrying bag, and get on your way – this one’s awesome for any musician who travels often.
The stand itself is quite well-designed and well-made. It’s surprisingly lightweight, but remains sturdier than many other music stands you’ll come across. You can control the height and rotation at three separate places along the body, so you’ll always be able to get it all set up at the perfect height.
The music tray itself features two sliding guides that make it super easy to open/close the stand – it can often be hard to get the top part of a stand opened up, but that’s simply not so with this one. The tray also features two spring-loaded holders for your actual sheet music, which function much better than the single wire you’ll usually see keeping your sheet music secured to the stand.
- Purchase includes: Swimbuds ORIGINAL headphones and SYRYN waterproof MP3 player (with complimentary goggles, FitGoo, and 1 oz AquaGuard Pre-Swim Hair Defense)
- Listen without interruption: Swimbuds hassle-free, extra-short cord doesn’t get caught or snagged
- SYRYN MP3 player is 100% waterproof. Meets IPX8 waterproofing standards.
Another offering from Underwater Audio, this is by far my favorite waterproof mp3 player on our list. They took a normal iPod shuffle and made the entire thing waterproof. Then, they bundled it with a pair of Swimbud earbuds and a pair of HydroHarmony headphones, and shipped it as the ultimate underwater audio bundle.
The Apple brand name speaks for itself, so I won’t spend much time talking about how awesome the iPod shuffle is. Underwater Audio waterproofed the entire thing internally past 200ft deep, and it’s 100% waterproof and corrosion-proof.
If you’re looking for the most premium waterproof music player option out there, this is it for sure.
- Bundle includes: Underwater Audio waterproof iPod + Swimbuds original extra-short cord waterproof earbuds + HydroHarmony waterproof headphones
- Listen without interruption: Swimbuds hassle-free extra-short cord doesn’t get caught or snagged / Listen with ease: HydroHarmony headphones with wrap around band are easy to get on and off
- Time tested process: Underwater Audio’s swimming iPod is waterproof, corrosion-proof, tested past 200ft depth, No hidden care instructions void our warranty!
Buying Guide (2018)
You must consider a variety of things when purchasing an MP3 player to ensure that it works with your lifestyle. Coming short in any of these categories could result in performance that isn’t up to par for you personally.
Storage- This is the factor that decides how many songs can be stored on your MP3 player. Storage is usually measured in megabytes or gigabytes. 1000 megabytes is equivalent to 1 gigabyte. Because of the cost of storage going down throughout the years, we recommend at very minimum that you get a 1 gigabyte (the more the better though). That is enough for roughly 125-250 songs. The more music you have, obviously the higher amount of gigabytes you should get.
File Type Playback- Some MP3 players are capable of playing back more than just MP3s. For the most part, this is not a big deal. However, if you plan on playing a variety of file types, then look for one that specifically states that it can play those back. An example of another file type is an MP4 which is a video file.
Connectivity/Software- This is what decides how you will connect your device to different things. For example you may be able to connect to speakers wirelessly through Bluetooth. You will also need a way to connect to your computer. This is usually through a USB cable. When you plug the device into the computer, software will likely automatically ask for installation. You will need this software to manage how you put music on the device. The software is usually simple and not demanding however if you have an older or underpowered computer, you will want to check that it will run the software.
How Deep Can I Go with Waterproof iPod/MP3 Players on This List?
All of the iPod/MP3 sets on this list are perfectly safe to use for swimming in pools and some are protected from water up to great depths.
In fact, our top pick (iPod Shuffle by AudioFlood) is rated to be completely waterproof up to 200ft in depth which is useful even for diving purposes. Read the reviews for each model to find out more about it.
Keep in mind to clean your waterproof iPod with fresh water after using in the sea. Salty water is a bit more aggressive with electronics than fresh water.